Sunday, July 02, 2006

They better because I would hate to see Portugal lift the cup. I travelled with my dad to Orchid Country Club at 11pm to catch the match against England. Amidst the smoke filled air con room (which is like so what the) I watched quietly like I always do (I only go into my throes of "so cute so cute" after matches). There seemed to be murder on my mind. I salute England for going into Extra Time even with Rooney being red-carded and dammit why did Cristano Ronaldo have to go and stick his face in it was barely his fight and come on your own squadmate-why did Rooney have to react that way! Why did England still stick to 4-5-1-that's what happens when you fill a squad with midfielders! and why did Eriksson bring Walcott into the squad only to never play him. I watched the defence of Terry and Rio and felt so so proud. I watched Lamps and Gerrard (especially Lamps) with missed chances and penalties and my heart broke. Lamps, go and talk to Mourinho okay? Don't let it affect your next season at Chelsea. Before this, I liked Ronaldo, I liked Ricardo, but all I was thinking when Ronaldo stepped up to take the penalty was to grab a crowbar and beat his legs, I don't care how good looking you are.
Mourinho, my heart will be with Portugal when you coach them, but not before. And even then...
England, there were doubts that you could do it, because of my avid interest in EPL, I supported you. But honestly you better go find better strikers. Even if you had beaten Portugal, you're without Rooney, without Terry... Sigh.
With the Ukraine beaten by Italy, Germany remains the only team I support to the point of fanatical obsession left. It started with Ballack but the rest of the team weaved their way into my life.
John Teh was happily crowing about today at church because of his love affair with Cristano Ronaldo. JoP was happy because France beat Brasil 1-0 with Thierry Henry scoring the winning goal. Clara kept saying "Horn-Ray" because she was upset and in mourning. Clarence and Alpha did their bit in putting their 2 cents worth about Lamps missing the penalty and not scoring even one goal even with so many shots on goal-all the time knowing that the one thing that worried me was his form when he was back with Chelsea. JoP contributed by nattering on about Mourinho and his weird "Special One" thing to which I threatened not to come for Cell because of that.
I know there's more to life than football, more so because the World Cup was a bit hard for me because I was supporting Chelsea players and not really nations (UNTIL WOAH GERMANY STUNNED ME) so it was difficult to really pick one team but let me have the moments (at least until the urge to beat up Cristano on his pretty face has gone floating by)
"I truly believe English players are in love with their country and fight with such honour and pride. John Terry called me after the game against Ecuador and told me: "Boss you cannot imagine the honour I felt to play for my country with the captain’s armband (after Beckham was substituted), and because you helped me so much to arrive at this position I want to give you the shirt from the match." This was a great moment and emotion for him, but also for me, and that shirt will be in a special place in my home in Setubal.
However it would be a mistake to think Portugal does not have this emotion too. Because of our economic situation at home, many of us live abroad, away from our country, away from our families, away from what we love. This creates in us a special emotion, a special feeling about our country. Remember the Portuguese team is full of players with big hearts, that are built when we are far from what we love. England has to be very, very strong mentally if they want to beat a Portuguese team full of pride, full of desire, full of self belief.
...
These are three great players, still young people with potential to evolve into better players still. The issue then for England is that you need three players in attack, not playing too far from each other. They need to be in permanent spacial contact. You can play with three players up, but it can still look like the central man is isolated. The way to play is what the Italians call a “tridente” where the three players are in permanent contact, changing positions, one in the direction of the ball, one striker attacking the front post and a winger arriving at the far post. What makes the difference between this system looking very dangerous, or looking defensive, is the consequence of hard work and training routines. Were England working 442 and 433 at the same time to be ready to use one of them? A coach like Eriksson, with his experience, would be prepared for this."
-Mourinho on his view of Portugal VS England before the game. Wise man. The Portugese who coaches an English side.
http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=399855&m=7&y=2006&nav=news&sub=latest+news